My father was a hillbilly. Many would argue that I am wrong about this since, he was born and raised in downtown Toronto Ontario; but I believe that he was a hillbilly nonetheless. He stood 6' 2" tall and my whole life the only footwear I ever saw him in was cowboy boots. His music was Bluegrass. Anyone can tell you that Bluegrass is an acquired taste at best; something you take in small doses; but there was nothing small about my father. So, like his stature and his booming voice, his music was overwhelming. This should be enough to prove that, although he never lived anywhere but southern Ontario, he was indeed a hillbilly. However, the thing that most convinced me was his choice of dogs--hounds--beagles to be specific.
It is difficult to explain to a non-beagle lover, why you love them. But, those of us who chose the challenge of owning a beagle. They are loyal and loving; true pack animals, they live to be part of a family. If you have food and a warm hug, they are yours. They can also jump a 4 foot fence and chase a rabbit until they drop. Still if you walk around a bluegrass campout, you will see that beagles are the dog of choice: they are friendly, they rarely bite humans and they know how to sing. Beagles and Bluegrass players accept everything and everybody.
We had our first confirmation of this theory when our youngest son, Connor was five. With his newly acquired electric wheelchair, we set out for a bluegrass reunion, joining my father and his friends in a camp out. Previously, I had always felt trepidation when meeting new people in different places and them meeting Connor for the first time. The looks, staring, and sympathetic head tilts were at times, too much to bear.The large wheelchair seemed to make him even more segregated; or so I thought.
From the moment we arrived, I realized why beagles were the bluegrass dogs of choice. Like my beloved hounds, these amazing people instantly accepted our child. More than that, they treated him like a child--not like a child in a wheelchair. For the first time in five years, we felt normal and Connor could be "normal", with the freedom to run and be himself.
It was overwhelming how mischievous and rambunctious Connor became with this freedom.
Frequently, trying to scare our camping partners, he would drive up to the their trailers, make ghost noises and drive away giggling. Me, I had no worries. there was an entire pack of campers--all grandparents in their own right--watching out for him. At that moment, I knew I had chosen the right hound pack. Here, he could accomplish anything.
I always knew that when Charles Schultz drew Snoopy, he had a real beagle. Having owned 2 and now a coonhound as well, I have seen them be vultures on the dog house, spin their dog food dish for food and fight the "Red Barons."
As well, after camping at many bluegrass festivals with Connor, I came to know why the music, campers and hounds belong together: they love everyone. I also came to realize that you can have anything you want or need, even if it is simply to feel "normal" with beagles and bluegrass and with the help of my hillbilly father, for one glorious weekend in October, I was a happy mother and my child was not disabled, just a playful five year old. Never underestimate the power of music, love or the abilities of beagles.
No comments:
Post a Comment